Friday, March 19, 2010

oatmeal raisin cookies - afraid of the oven, my ass

cook's illustrated oatmeal raisin cookie - 17I used to go to California every summer and bask in the famous Orange County sun while playing (and by playing, I mean fighting with) my three younger girl cousins. Those were the days- endless weeks pretending to be frolicking among the wealthy, while really being tormented by these little dweebs because "I was the cooler cousin". Needless to say, things have greatly changed; years have passed, and egos have been burst (mine). Although I haven't spent a summer there for almost two years, I figured I'd fly down on my Spring Break to surprise the fam' of my new life changes!

cook's illustrated oatmeal raisin cookie - 04cook's illustrated oatmeal raisin cookie - 10
The last they saw of me, I was the typical angst teenager who'd rather talk on my cell with boys than play dress up with my little cousins. To top it off, for an entire 18 years of my life I have been sheltered from using all hot objects including the oven (thanks, overbearing parents!). So the girl who used to be "afraid of the oven", is now the girl "who loves to bake".

cook's illustrated oatmeal raisin cookie - 21cook's illustrated oatmeal raisin cookie - 23
Now, my smart family would obviously never believe such a tall tale without valid evidence. Proof of choice: two types of cookies (some leftover The Chewy / NY Times) and my famous oatmeal raisin cookies. I always feel that one choice of cookie is boring, so I tried to switch it up a bitch with the oats.

cook's illustrated oatmeal raisin cookie - 25
Now that I think about it, I probably subconsciously chose the oatmeal raisin cookie through a long lost memory. I can see the memory now- I'm about 10 or 11 or so, just going through my "fat" phase. I'm at my grandparents' (the ones who live in California) house. I wander downstairs to the kitchen in the middle of the night for a "little" snack. I find a pack of Little Debbie's and begin to devour these chewy circular objects. Oatmeal raisin, I see. Well, needless to say, I enjoyed them back in the day; and apparently (or I hoped so) my grandparents did as well.

cook's illustrated oatmeal raisin cookie - 39cook's illustrated oatmeal raisin cookie - 31
Typical to true form, I stick with my pals at Cook's Illustrated. They haven't let me down thus far. I prepared the dough, and then later baked them, at my boyfriend's house. I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone- bonding time during gift baking.

cook's illustrated oatmeal raisin cookie - 29
The cookies came out great- as expected. My family, while in disbelief of the news, soon believed me after eating my cookies. See- people really do change! And also- I really can bake! Hehe.

---RECIPE---

Recipe found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment