Thursday, January 28, 2010

peanut butter doggy bones for the diva puppy's birthday

peanut butter dog treats in dog biscuit shapes - 08Today is a special puppy's first birthday. Her name is Xena and she is the sweetest and most energetic (not to mention, the most stylish with her new pink sweater) puppy pitbull ever. While I was busy with classes all day, she was with her daddy chasing dogs at the dog park and being treated like a little princess. But what was I to do for this little puppy? Why, bake dog treats, of course! I searched online and read my way through tons of doggy recipes. While some were disgusting (with chopped liver or strange meat pieces), some others were too difficult (yeast biscuits or dry milk powder). I finally found a simple and easy recipe- Peanut butter doggy treats (and the best part was that there were only 3 ingredients!).

peanut butter dog treats in dog biscuit shapes - 01peanut butter dog treats in dog biscuit shapes - 02
Peanut butter, milk, and flour- Simple enough, but I was afraid it wouldn't be tasty enough. Especially since my boyfriend has bred the doggy version of himself- stubborn, strong, and a picky-eater. He spoils her with homemade gravies, fancy food, and always has to top off her meal with a sprinkle of cheese (lucky dog).

peanut butter dog treats in dog biscuit shapes - 05
Tell me this cookie cutter isn't the cutest thing you've ever laid your eyes on, hehe.

peanut butter dog treats in dog biscuit shapes - 06
Okay, I'll admit it- I tasted the doggy dough. Tease me all you want- but I was not hesitant to take a piece for myself. Verdict? Blah- nothing really. Since there was no sugar, it didn't really have a taste. So this is probably the only dough in the entire world that I won't eat.

peanut butter dog treats in dog biscuit shapes - 11peanut butter dog treats in dog biscuit shapes - 08
Soon enough, I was mass producing doggy biscuits as if it was my job.

peanut butter dog treats in dog biscuit shapes - 09
Just like I do with all cut out cookies, I placed them in the fridge to firm up before baking.

peanut butter dog treats in dog biscuit shapes - 14
I was giddy with excitement waiting for the moment I could unveil my creations and see the look on this little puppy's face when I show her all her new treats.

peanut butter dog treats in dog biscuit shapes - 17
When I brought them over to my boyfriend's house and showed him my present, he told me that Xena didn't like peanut butter. I stared at him in awe because I knew for a fact that I've not only seen her eat peanut butter, but demolish a whole wad of it. To show him, we gave her a treat, watched her pick it up, and take it under the table (a good sign because this is where she hoards her treasures). We watched her consume the cookie in a matter of seconds. I knew it, she loves peanut butter (despite what her peanut-butter-hating father wants).

---RECIPE---
Taken from All Recipes.

ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat flour (substituted all-purpose)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup unsalted natural peanut butter (I'm pretty sure I just used Jiffy)
1 cup skim milk

directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets. Stir together the flour and baking powder; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the peanut butter and milk. Stir in the flour mixture until well blended. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut into shapes using cookie cutters. Place 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
3. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly brown. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.

amount:
Makes about 18 treats. (I halved the recipe, and still made probably around 18 treats)

No comments:

Post a Comment