Sunday, January 17, 2010

edible (and bakeable) cookie dough - it will deceive you

edible cookie dough (and bakeable cookies) - 17One of my jobs for the Fondue Party was to bring the cupcakes. My friend requested a chocolate-chip-cookie-dough filled cupcake, similar to the ones I made for Halloween. I thought about which chocolate chip cookie recipe I wanted to use. The dough itself wouldn't necesarily be raw (although I'm not too sure) because it is dropped into the batter and cooks with the cupcake in the oven. But for some reason I wanted to make a completely edible cookie dough (probably so my friend and I could snack on it all day). I didn't want to use Cook's Illustrated, especially because I knew my boyfriend wouldn't dare get close to anything that appeared to be raw dough. I thought back to when I made the coconut creamcheese cookies; those were completely egg-less and the dough tasted just as delicious. So basically I adapted this recipe from that one.

edible cookie dough (and bakeable cookies) - 02edible cookie dough (and bakeable cookies) - 03
So I'm not sure where this recipe came from or who made it. It was one of those "I got it from so-and-so, who got it from so-and-so" type of thing. The funny thing is that it supposedly ends at Cook's Illustrated as the place where this recipe came from. I checked, and I didn't see it online, so I'm not sure if it really did come from there. Either way, this recipe started as a coconut and cream cheese cookie, so it wasn't technically made for being an edible cookie dough- which is why I was scared to see if these adjustments would even turn out.

edible cookie dough (and bakeable cookies) - 04edible cookie dough (and bakeable cookies) - 06
Once the dough was completely mixed, I tasted it, and I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. It didn't taste like regular cookie dough, and had this strong hint of cream cheese tang. I was almost about to discard of it, but I remembered it would bake fine in the cupcake, and if anything, I'll just bake the rest into regular cookies.

cookie dough filled cupcakes - 08
I baked the cupcakes, and all came out fine. But later in the evening (mind you, I was sort of tipsy at this point) my friend and I went to try some of this raw dough that was sitting in her fridge.

edible cookie dough (and bakeable cookies) - 13
I'm not even kidding (and I know it wasn't the booze because I tried it the next day) but the flavors melded together and all traces of cream cheese were lost. This was an almost-legit regular cookie dough. We ate about half of the dough (not even lying) and baked some of it as well.

edible cookie dough (and bakeable cookies) - 07edible cookie dough (and bakeable cookies) - 11
Okay, I admit it- I slightly underbaked the cookies. It's edible either way so I figured I'd get that in-between type of cookie. One word- Delicious. My boyfriend (who claims to hate cookie dough, even if it were to be egg-less) devoured them, unknowing that these were basically raw-cookie-dough-cookies.

edible cookie dough (and bakeable cookies) - 14edible cookie dough (and bakeable cookies) - 12
I had a ton of dough left over, believe it or not, so the following day I decided to bake another batch for my boyfriend. (I saved a bit of dough for me to munch on though, of course.)

edible cookie dough (and bakeable cookies) - 16edible cookie dough (and bakeable cookies) - 18
These, too, I underbaked. My boyfriend yet again inhaled the entire plate of cookies.

edible cookie dough (and bakeable cookies) - 22
These cookies are basically cookie-dough with an outer shell. It's so decieving, but it's so delicious.

edible cookie dough (and bakeable cookies) - 26edible cookie dough (and bakeable cookies) - 24
I was sitting there staring at my boyfriend who was happily eating these cookies that so resembled the texture of cookie dough. Thinking about it, he loves chewy and gooey type of cookies; he hates hard and crunchy cookies. The chewy cookies are basically slightly underbaked cookies, so I know he has to like cookie dough.

edible cookie dough (and bakeable cookies) - 23
It really is all in his head. One day he'll learn to love cookie dough just like me.

---RECIPE---
Adapted from my coconut and cream cheese cookies.

ingredients:
12 tablespoons (1+1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cup + 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate chips

directions:
1. With electric mixer, mix butter and cream cheese together until thoroughly combined. Beat in vanilla until combined.
2. Whisk dry ingredients in separate bowl. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat until combined.
3. Mix in chocolate chips
4. Chill as long as possible (preferably overnight)
5. Eat, or bake
6. If baking, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Drop tablespoon sized balls of dough onto parchment lined baking sheet.
8. Bake for 10 minutes, or whenever you want.

3 comments:

  1. i do this too. in fact i bake my cookies only 6 minutes so theyre basically like you said, "cookie dough w/ outer shell." but this only works w/ certain recipes. yours obviously. and mine anickh.blogspot.com (pink cookies), also the levain copycat recipe and im sure a few other recipes out there. technically any cookie recipe thats dense (has a high flour/buttter low egg content. like the nestle toll house recipe just wouldnt work. that cookies too flat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!! Thanks for the post. I you are looking for Where Can I Buy Edible Cookie Dough then visit World Class Dough

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete