Sunday, January 17, 2010

cookie dough stuffed cupcakes - "i don't like cookie dough" = "i don't like your cupcakes"

cookie dough filled cupcakes - 43Once I had the dough for my edible-cookie-dough recipe ready, I prepared the cupcakes that they were to be stuffed in. (My friend specifically asked for these cupcakes for our Fondue Party we were having.) I knew that the cookie dough would cook inside the cupcakes anyways (because that's what happened with the Halloween cupcakes), but I thought my friend and I would probably like some cookie dough to munch on as a side dish (yes, we really do love cookie dough that much). While searching for the best cupcake recipe (I had nowhere to start from, so it was basically a shot in the dark), I ended up at Martha Stewart's website. A basic vanilla cupcake was chosen, and I hoped for the best.

cookie dough filled cupcakes - 01cookie dough filled cupcakes - 02
Being that it was a basic yellow cake recipe, there were more egg yolks than egg whites to the batter.

cookie dough filled cupcakes - 03cookie dough filled cupcakes - 04
Typical me...always trying to use leftover ingredients. Being that I cook for one person (myself) and bake (on the rare occasion) for a small group of people, I tend to have leftover "weird" ingredients that I wouldn't use otherwise. I had a whole carton of buttermilk left over from the Red Velvet cake, and while deciding between two yellow cupcake recipes I found on Martha Stewart, I chose the one which used buttermilk so I could get rid of the carton in my fridge.

cookie dough filled cupcakes - 05cookie dough filled cupcakes - 08
My silicon cupcake cups were filled with batter then got a tiny spoonful of edible cookie dough dropped in the center.

cookie dough filled cupcakes - 09cookie dough filled cupcakes - 10
I knew the cookie dough ball was fairly large, but I figured there could never be too much cookie dough.

cookie dough filled cupcakes - 11
I guess the cookie dough didn't sink as much as I thought it would. Nothing a little frosting can't cover up!

cookie dough filled cupcakes - 13cookie dough filled cupcakes - 12
As I was rushing that morning to cook and bake, I didn't have time to make any frosting. I decided to grab my hand mixer and a few basic ingredients (butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla) to salvage a topping for the cupcakes when I got to my friend's house. I apparently didn't bring a mixing bowl, and I was forced to use a large cooking pot as a substitute. I also didn't bring any buttercream-type recipes with me (and my picky-eater didn't want chocolate frosting, which was the only recipe I had saved in my phone) so I chose to make a thick and tastier royal icing recipe off the top of my head.

cookie dough filled cupcakes - 14cookie dough filled cupcakes - 16
Surprisingly enough my homemade concoction came out. It looks a little wet and drippy here because it needed some time in the fridge first.

cookie dough filled cupcakes - 25cookie dough filled cupcakes - 27
I added a little ball of cookie dough to make it cuter and set them in the fridge to harden.

cookie dough filled cupcakes - 41
The best part was after you took your first bite of this cupcake, where you actually got a big chunk of cookie dough and chocolate chips. The cookie dough barely cooked and maintained that moist texture typical to cookie dough.

cookie dough filled cupcakes - 31cookie dough filled cupcakes - 32
As for the actual cake part- I didn't really care for it. It was a little too dense for me, and not as fluffy as I like cake to be (once again though, I am not a cake/cupcake person). Honestly, I think it was that damn buttermilk that ruined this cupcake! It really was not cupcake-y.

cookie dough filled cupcakes - 33
I ate a bunch of the cookie dough toppings and I even broke some cupcakes in half just to eat their cookie-dough centers (I'm obsessed!).

cookie dough filled cupcakes - 36cookie dough filled cupcakes - 37
I put my cupcakes in my new snazzy Martha Stewart carrier (which I got for Christmas from my boyfriend's family) and I left them at my boyfriend's house.

cookie dough filled cupcakes - 42
Just as I suspected...none got eaten. It was because they "don't like cookie dough" (which as I explained already, my boyfriend does like cookie dough, he just doesn't know it yet), but I think the real reason was because the cupcakes tasted like hard crap. The end.

---CUPCAKE RECIPE---
Taken from Martha Stewart.

ingredients:
3 cups cake flour
1+1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2+1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1+1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
9 ounces (2 sticks plus 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
2+1/4 cups sugar
5 large eggs plus 3 large yolks, room temperature
2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

directions:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cream butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
2.Reduce speed to low. Mix remaining wet ingredients in a bowl. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with wet ingredients and ending with dry. Scrape sides of bowl. Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each full. (This is where I dropped my mini ball of cookie dough, recipe here, in the center.)
3.Bake cupcakes until testers inserted into centers come out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in tins on wire racks.

amount:
Makes 3 dozen cupcakes.


---FROSTING RECIPE---
Made up on a whim, not exact.

ingredients:
1 stick of butter, softened
1/3 cup milk (less than that)
2 cups powdered sugar (probably more than that, depending on consistency)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 comment: