Tuesday, December 15, 2009

ricotta gnocchi - can be used as dog food

ricotta gnocchi - 18The reason for my double Ricotta entry is that I needed to get rid of some things in the fridge before I went on my three week trip. The ricotta muffins weren't such a success, but I thought I'd try a savory dish with Ricotta instead. I love regular gnocchi, and I've had ricotta gnocchi once before and loved it as well. How hard can making gnocchi be?



ricotta gnocchi - 01ricotta gnocchi - 02
Making the dough. I didn't have enough parmesan cheese so I substituted some Italian bread crumbs to compensate.

ricotta gnocchi - 03
The dough was really sticky, but nothing I'm not used to from my typical baking.

ricotta gnocchi - 07ricotta gnocchi - 06
Rolling it out was another story. I had to basically divide it into 8ths or even more to get a unified shaped log.

ricotta gnocchi - 08ricotta gnocchi - 09
Attempting my first cut.

ricotta gnocchi - 10
And now roll it with the fork tines. Eh, not so much. Looks more like a dog bone.

ricotta gnocchi - 11
Try again. Nope, now it looks like bug larvae.

ricotta gnocchi - 12ricotta gnocchi - 13
Eventually I got the hang of it and started the mass production.

ricotta gnocchi - 14
Can you tell which ones were my first attempts?

ricotta gnocchi - 16ricotta gnocchi - 17
Now, regular gnocchi is boiled (but can be pan fried). The types I prefer are the pan fried because there's more flavor from the slightly burned sides.

ricotta gnocchi - 20
Getting the hang of it.

ricotta gnocchi - 18
They tasted like buttery crispy things, or at least the ones I ate right after frying.

ricotta gnocchi - 22
My boyfriend on the other hand didn't care for them. Go figure- the only thing he liked that I made with ricotta was Baked Ziti.

And yes- he really did use this as dog food for his dog...

---RECIPE---
Adapted from Steamy Kitchen.

ingredients:
1 cup whole milk ricotta
1/2 cup freshly grated parmegiano reggiano (I used half parmesan and half bread crumbs)
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup all purpose flour, sifted + more for dusting
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil

directions:
1. Combine ricotta, parmagiano, yolk, and salt in large bowl. Mix well.
2. Sprinkle half of the flour on the mixture, gently turn with spatula a few times to incorporate.
3. Dump mixture on clean, lightly floured countertop. Sprinkle remaining flour on top of the mixture. Gently knead (I should mention I don't know how to knead lol) with your fingertips, just bringing together the mixture until flour is incorporated through. This only should take a minute or two. Any longer and you will be over-kneading.
4. Divide dough into 4 parts (at least 8 parts for me). Take one part and roll into a long, 1″ diameter log. Cut gnocchi into 1″ pieces (I ended up making them much smaller). You may use your wooden doobie-bopper (wtf) or tines of a fork to get those pretty grooves that will eventually disappear after frying anyways (didn't disappear for me).
5. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and olive oil. when butter is just lightly browned, add gnocchi in single layer. Fry on one side for 2 minutes, flip. Fry other side for 1-2 minutes.

amount:
Probably like a million, lol. Wayyy too many.

No comments:

Post a Comment