Friday, December 25, 2009

pumpkin-walnut cookies - suck on this betty crocker!

pumpkin walnut cookies - 11'Tis Christmas! And what am I doing today? Baking with my g-ma. I've got a ton of recipes bookmarked from those cooking magazines you always see at the checkout aisle- well guess what, those magazines are awesome! The leftover pumpkin (because I used only a half of a can) could be used in this recipe so luckily not one bit of pumpkin will go to waste! hehe. Also, I need to get rid of these walnuts somehow because I can not stop eating them by themselves. As for the Betty Crocker statement- A week ago I tried Betty Crocker's Pumpkin Spice Cookies (the pouch cookie mix), and although it was quite good actually, I have to say- these are much better!

pumpkin walnut cookies - 01pumpkin walnut cookies - 02
Looks yucky right now, but that shall soon change.

pumpkin walnut cookies - 05
These are new baking sheets btw- and by new I mean still in the wrapper never used, but probably bought ten years ago. Whatever, I ain't complaining.

pumpkin walnut cookies - 06pumpkin walnut cookies - 07
Placed on the sheets ready to bake.

pumpkin walnut cookies - 12
Ooph, doesn't that look good? You can see the spices and the walnuts, and the pumpkin gives it a nice orange.

pumpkin walnut cookies - 14pumpkin walnut cookies - 17
So while I was waiting for the other batches to bake, I decided to make a mini-photoshoot. I tried using a paper towel for the backdrop- obvi not working.

pumpkin walnut cookies - 21pumpkin walnut cookies - 23
I bet even certain pumpkin-haters would like these cookies (:

---RECIPE---
Taken from Better Homes and Garden magazine, 100 Best Cookies, December 2009
"Pumpkin-Pecan Cookies"

ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1+1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup chopped toasted pecans (walnuts for me)

directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and allspice; set aside.
2. In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and pumpkin until combined. Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture and pecans.
3. Drop by rounded teaspoons about 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookies sheet.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.

amount:
Makes about 40 cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment