Friday, December 25, 2009

peanut butter cookies - to tine, or not to tine?

classic peanut butter cookies - 10I really did not stop baking this entire Christmas day. Literally, from the morning (around 9 AM) until about 4 PM (when the lighting starts to get too dark to take photos lol). I figured I'd just whip out recipes one after another, all incorporating ingredients I know my picky-eater wouldn't like. Next ingredient- peanut butter. I don't know how he doesn't like peanut butter, yet likes peanuts. Anyways, g-ma, like usual, loves peanut butter, so this seems fitting. My only other peanut butter recipe was the Peanut Butter Blossoms, so I thought I would just make a classic peanut butter cookie recipe this time.

classic peanut butter cookies - 01
I can not tell you how much I love any peanut butter cookie batter. I think it even tops a chocolate chip cookie dough as my ultimate favorite. I definitely ate more than half of the dough just by itself.

classic peanut butter cookies - 02classic peanut butter cookies - 03
I guess I didn't take any photos of me preparing the cookies lol- I was probably too busy whipping out hundreds of cookies (literally).

classic peanut butter cookies - 05classic peanut butter cookies - 06
My first batch doesn't look like the classic peanut butter cookies, you know the ones with the lines across them. The reason why I didn't do so was because I don't think cookies should be smashed before they go in the oven- I guess I just prefer huge round balls because it allows the cookies to spread and remain gooey in the center. Needless to say, these didn't look right, and I had to squash them at the end anyways because they just weren't cooking properly.

classic peanut butter cookies - 08
There we go, now it looks familiar. The tines of the fork really do make it look cute also. And yeah, I guess it did make sense to flatten it for better cooking...I hate when I'm wrong.

classic peanut butter cookies - 12
These were by far my favorite cookies of the day (and by cookies, I mean cookie dough).

---RECIPE---
Taken from Better Homes and Gardens magazine, 100 Best Cookies, December 2009

ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1+1/4 cup all-purpose flour
granulated sugar for rolling (after my last experience, I think not)

directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl combine butter and peanut butter. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add ½ cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, and baking powder. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally (and eating dough occasionally, lol). Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. If necessary, cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
2. Place additional granulated sugar in a small bowl. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in sugar to coat. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Using the tines of a fork, flatten balls by making crisscross marks on top.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 7 to 9 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.

amount:
Makes about 36 cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment